How to Buy a Handpan – Where to Buy a Hang® (Drum)
You want to know how to buy a Hang® drum or how to buy a handpan, pantam, etc? In this article, you will discover the typical price range, explore trusted makers, learn a tiny bit about scale compatibility and must have accessories.
We have a handpan for sale as of 12/09/2018:
- 8-note Integral Scale: (D) A Bb C D E F G A.
- AKA: Kurd, Integral D or D Aeolian.
- Brand: TerraPan
- Nitrited Steel
- Condition: Excellent
We will have a video, picture and price up soon!
Why is it so difficult to buy a Handpan?
It is difficult to buy a handpan (pantam) because they are hand-made and cannot be massed produced. Plus, very few people have mastered the skills necessary to make a quality or a top shelf handpan. The same thing can be said of PANArt’s Hang®.
However, it is easy to get your hands on a handpan of lesser quality. It might be all you need.
>> See the for sale list <<
How Much Do Handpans Cost?
Quality handpans and Hang® (i.e. nitrided with stable architecture) cost between $2,000 to $10,000. A good one bought direct from a maker will cost $2,000 to $3,500. Although rare, used top-shelf handpans have sold for as much as $10,000.
Don’t be fooled, price is not always an indicator of quality. The market has grown tremendously since the early days. There are many sub-par instruments.
Buy a Handpan: Direct from a Maker
If you are patient (or feeling lucky) try to buy a handpan directly from a maker. Some of the builders (or makers) have lotteries that give you a fighting chance to buy one; others have first come first serve list where the wait can be years, etc… Some even have flash sales on their websites. You can buy a handpan–a good one–you just need some patients and determination.
Each brand is different in terms of attitude, materials, tuning techniques and method of distribution. Each has something unique to offer.
- PANArt Hang®, http://panart.ch: Made by Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer. PANArt retired the Hang® (aka hang drum). It is no longer in production. Your only chance to buy a Hang® is through the secondhand market.
The following is a list of companies that make top quality handpans:
- Aciel – France, Facebook page: by Michael Colley and Jimmy James. They often have “flash sales” where you can get an instrument without a waiting period.
- Bellart Bells – Spain, www.Bellart.es: Made by Luis Eguiguren.
- CFoulke – USA, http://www.cfoulke.com/ My favorite maker. Hands down the best in my opinion.
- ESS AsaChan – Switzerland, ESS Youtube Channel: Made by Ezahn in Switzerland. The AsaChan has a double yellow ring around the central dome.
- Pantheon Steel Halo – USA, www.PantheonSteel.com: Made by Kyle Cox and Jim Dusin. Pantheon Steel has over 10,000 people on their waiting list. They have a unique lottery system that allows even the newest signups a chance to get a Halo handpan.
- TerraPan – USA, http://terratonz.com/: My favorite for size and scales offered. Formally endorsed by Daniel Waples. Founder CR PanMan is making strides.
- Saraz – USA, www.SarazHandpan.com: Another favorite for scales offered. I love their D-minors and D Dorian/A minors. Also, the maker is a perfectionist and an all around great guy. Made by Marc Garnier.
- “SPB” – Russia: Made by Victor Levinson. The SPB is considered one of the best sound sculptures available. He uses the term pantam as a way to describe a high quality instrument with certain sound characteristics.
Recent additions to the quality handpan list:
- Yishama Pantam – Israel
- Meraki Instruments – Italy
- Ayasa Handpans – Netherlands
- SunPan – Germany
- OMana Pan – Ukraine
- Symphonic Steel – USA
- PanStream – UK
There are many up and coming makers out there. Some good, some not so good.
Buy a Handpan: Secondhand Market
If you are rich, or managed to squirrel away a stack of money, you can try to find a used top quality handpan. Yes, top quality used ones can sell for more than buying it new from a maker (but there is no wait).
Top quality instruments are occasionally found on eBay. Those sellers are almost always selling used—often at a cost above retail.
The Handpan for Sale Facebook Page list eBay auctions and is updated daily.
Budget Handpans: Low Price, Less Wait
Low price and less waiting usually means lesser quality. And, you may be completely satisfied with one. After all, many professional musicians produce fine music without top of the line gear.
Watch out for eBay scammers plotting to take advantage of your naivety.
eBay listings to buy a handpan are cluttered with tongue drums. We’ve culled the list for you:
You can find hand pans for immediate purchase at Amazon. They are cheaper than most and sound decent to many ears. Amazon is full of steel tongue drums listed as handpans. We’ve culled that list for you too:
>> See the for sale list <<
Notes make up a scale. Usually the scale is made so that any tone field can be played, in any order, without sounding bad. This is great for jamming solo.
To jam with other instruments, you’ll want the other instrument to use a compatible scale.
If your handpan is a D-minor, a knowledgeable guitarist will know how to play nicely with it. Same goes with other instruments that have a wide range of scales, etc…
Instruments with fixed scales, like handpans and Native American flutes, should be played with compatible scales. Therefore, a D-Minor would be compatible with an F-Major, etc…
Buy Handpan Accessories
Your next big search is for a protective handpan case or bag. Check out this post on EvateK: the world’s best solution for protecting your instrument in everyday situations.
If you are getting into this, you might want to visit this article that focuses on accessories for handpan drum.
Thanks for Learning How to Buy a Handpan
Did you enjoy this article? Share the post by clicking one of the share buttons.
*HANG is a trademark registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office.
PANArt has publicly stated, “Hang is not a handpan.” Therefore, when writing about this family of instruments, Hang® is always referred to as a separate entity (in this article), divided from generic terms like handpan and pantam. Hang® is not a generic term like handpan.