The Original USA Handpan Gathering
This is a quick guide to the history of Handpangea. To discover what it was, AoxoA presents images and video as well as a write-up.
The gathering had a three-year run from 2011-2013. During that time it was the largest gathering of handpans in the western hemisphere.
In 2014, Hangout USA (an off shoot of HangOut UK) took the place of Handpangea. Although the name Handpangea may live on, the original as we knew it is gone. Whispers mention the continuing of Handpangea at xxxxxxx Top Secret xxxxx. So, the future may hold something better for the events name sake.
Update: Handpangea was resurrected in Farmington for 2015
The original multi-day event was held at ‘Laughing Waters Retreat Center’, near Ashville, North Carolina.
Although based in USA, participants came from around the globe. A wide assortment of sound sculptures were present; such as Bali Steel, BellArt Bells, Pantheon Steel Halo, PanArt Hang, SPB as well as similar and related instruments like the Zen Tambour.
Participants had plenty of chances to meet each other, listen to, and perhaps play a variety of handpan. The event featured live performances by well known handpan players, offered technique and other workshops. Another wonderful perk were the coveted Instrument raffles.
The cost was relatively modest for the elite and expensive genre of the handpan.
Handpangea 2011: $104 per person (ticket cost $50 per adult. Breakfast, lunch and dinner cost $22 per day. Total cost was $94 + $10 for a Friday dinner = $104).
Handpangea 2012: $150 per person for a 4-day registration, including all meals from Thursday dinner to Sunday lunch.
Handpangea 2013: $200 per person for a 4-day registration, including all meals from Thursday dinner to Sunday dinner.
- Dante Bucci (dantebucci.com, itunes.dantebucci.com, cdbaby.dantebucci.com)
- Kyle Cox (Pantheon Steel)
- Janet Spahr (spahrstudios.com)
- Rusty James
- Imani White (soulfirecircles.com)
- Randy Granger (randygranger.net)
- Samjjana (On Facebook)
- Mark Garner (sarazhandpan.com)
- Colin Foulke (colinfoulke.bandcamp.com/)
- Aaron Ximm (freemusicarchive.org)
- Tabla Techniques for Handpans by Rusty James
- Beginning/Intermediate Didgeridoo: Building and Expanding Your Practice with Peter Levitov
- Exploring Metaphysical and Healing Perspectives with Maia Kshemya
- Playing Handpans with Other Instruments (flute, percussion, vocals, etc.) with Randy Granger
- Handpan Tips, Tricks & Techniques with Colin Foulke
- Handpan Making Discussion/Q & A with Kyle Cox & Jim Dusin of Pantheon Steel
- Linotune Demo with Lino
- Improvisational Techniques with Janet Spahr
Handpangea Instrument Raffles
During each event, Kyle Cox and Jim Dusin of Pantheon Steel supported the event by holding two instrument raffles.
- A Pantheon Steel Halo to be purchased and taken home by the winner (scale of Kyle’s choice).
- A spot to purchase an upcoming production Batch of the Pantheon Steel Halo.
For two events Spike Finch raffled a FREE Zen Tambour, a tank drum, in the color and scale of the winner’s choice.
Video from Handpangea 2011
Handpangea 2011 – Animoto #1
Kyle Cox – G Penta Improv – 2011
Kyle Cox – Ursa Minor Improv – 2011
Jeremy Arndt & Colin Foulke – Handpangea 2011
Janet Spahr – Oona – 2011
More Handpan Topics
- Hang Drum? What is a Hang Drum?
- What is Hangism?
- How to Buy a Handpan
- EvateK for Handpans
- Handpan & Hang Music
Hangism and Panism
Hangism and Panism is a work of art (or design) created by using a single digital image of a PanArt Hang or handpan. The image is duplicated, flipped, rotated, moved, and layered as needed. And, various adjustment details are applied.
Visit the online store for Hangism prints.
Visit the online store for Panism prints.
Handpangea | The Original USA Handpan Gathering
Share with one of our share features.